For the older generations among us, sometimes healthy eating can seem like something we have to do rather than what you want to do. You still want to enjoy the same foods that you have always done. But as we know, health issues come up and our relationship with food changes. Whether that be what we are eating or how often we are eating. Variety is key to stop food boredom and to keep you healthy.
If you, yourself are a member of the older generation or you are taking care of someone a little older, then you know that failing to eat properly is a red flag. There are multiple factors that can influence someone’s eating patterns, a few being; medications, aches and pains, time in the day and energy levels. All of these things can affect your appetite and that is such a shame. Eating should be a joyous event! If you are concerned about someone or concerned about yourself and your lack of interest in food, then why not have a look into meal prep? You might surprise yourself or someone else.
So let’s take a look at some of the key food groups that you should be eating and how we can help you.
What should I eat?
Eat a variety of foods from different food groups. This ensures you get enough nutrients that you need. You can’t always get everything you need from one food group (even your favourite ones). As you age you need to maintain healthy eating, this can often be difficult to maintain or to even keep track of in the first place. A healthy eating plan puts emphasis on fruits, vegetables and low-fat foods. Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts are great for you. You need to keep an eye out for saturated fats, trans fats, too much salt and unnatural sugars. Seems like a lot, but with our prepared meals and our excellent nutritionist we’ll do all the hard work for you. All you need to do is heat it and eat it!
- Proteins - protein-packed foods can help to slow muscle loss and keep you from feeling too weak. These come in many forms; nuts, eggs, avocado, tuna, greek yoghurt.
- Fruits & Veg - They can be fresh, frozen or canned. Dark green and orange veg are the ones to add to all your meals (if you can).
Carbohydrates - adding small amounts of foods like whole-grain cereals, bread, rice or pasta to your diet will help maintain a healthy heart and a good digestive system. Ensure you try and include this into your meal every day, even if it is a small portion.
Why Is Meal Planning So Important?
- Delivery - For anyone who hasn't got the time to go shopping or the energy to carry heavy bags everywhere then good news! You can get prepared meals delivered to your door. That or you can pick them up from a number of locations. Straight from us to you.
- Variety - Who wants to be eating the same old thing day in and day out? Not us. And we’re guessing you don’t want to either. Variety is especially important for those in assisted care. It’s important not only to physical health but it’s extremely important to mental health. Having the same meal every day can be demoralising. It might be something small that you look forward to in your day, but that could be 3 times a day. You’ll be feeling brighter throughout the days and weeks. We don’t want life to be mundane. For anyone.
- Portions - It goes without saying that portion control is important. Ensure you’re eating the right amount of food with meals designed for just that.
- It saves time and money - if you’re someone who finds cooking a stressful endeavour then meal prepping is the one for you. All you need to do is grab your food and heat it up. Put your mind at ease knowing your meals are sorted for the day It’s also quite nice to know that your meals are sorted for the day. Freeing time for you to do other things that you love.
- Health - a simple fact (that we all hate) is as you age, your immune system tends to get worse. By using our meal prep service you know that what you are getting has been prepared down to a tee. Having your meals prepped with nutritional value can boost your immune system without you having to worry. If your doctor has advised you to keep away from certain foods or to eat more of a certain food, then by meal prepping you can have all of these foods provided to you through a variety of different meals. Take charge of your health.
Physical activity! Being physical and active is just as important as meal prepping. If you are looking to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself or your loved one, then try to set goals about how active you or they should be. At least 30 minutes a day is a good benchmark - if that’s too much all in one go, take it slowly in 10-minute intervals. For those who really struggle to be active, do not be disheartened. Encourage yourself to engage in more physical activity than you usually would. This can be anything from walking to climbing a set of stairs!
Regardless of how much activity you can do, your meal prep plan is a fantastic starting point to a healthier, happier lifestyle.
What We Can Do For You
If you are thinking that this is everything you need, then our 10 meal prep plan is for you. Our plan consists of pre-portioned meals that contain all the vital nutrients from the food groups we have mentioned. Our meals are perfectly balanced with the correct measurements of Protein, Carbohydrates, Fruit and Veg, so, with our meals, you can have the satisfaction of knowing you are eating healthily, stress-free! Not only that, our 10 meal prep plan has a wide range of meals, ensuring that each meal puts a smile on your face.
If you think that you may have special dietary requirements to make when ordering with us, please mention this along with any other helpful information in the notes section when you check out. Or, please get in touch with us to discuss your needs and see what we can do for you. Get on your way to eating delicious meals that provide you with everything you need for a healthy, happier life.